Crowd of people? Carrying your bike? Just lift it over all of their heads #MuricaPerk #ImHuge ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I don't always ask for directions on the train, but when I do, I end that conversation talking about God #Missionaried ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Biking for twenty minutes to buy chicken and beef for dirt cheap? Worth it!! #NoRoomInOurFreezerAnyMore ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... We just made Raspberry Jam from Scratch, put the hot stuff that wouldn't fit in the jar onto ice-cream and ate it all ... Love ... my ... life ... #FatKid ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... I don't always lead us around Tokyo but when I do ... we're early #LikeABoss ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Alright iPad, you think you can fix my spelling? #ChalngeAcceptprw #noSuggestions ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... We just ate $100 worth of sushi; you then took us to an Italian Restaurant and made us keep eating till we all want to die ... Of course we'll go to round 3 with you! ... #GoingToPukeAllOverYou ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... #NoImNot28 ... it's alright, you're like the 12th person to make that mistake ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... All we bought was potatoes and meat #GriffithsChoroWentShopping ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Curry for Lunch, Curry for Dinner; #HappyPDay ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Typhoon, worst one in 10 years? Please, my bike has missionary steroids, #DidNotEvenFallOver ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Oh, you sell Melonpan? yeah, I’ll buy them all, right now #TheRecipeTooPlease ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... #YouMightBeAMissionaryIf you don't hear about the giant wall of water which will hit the city where you live until next Monday; because you only get eMail on P-Days ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... New favorite conversation starter "I don’t speak Japanese and if I don’t learn I can’t go back to America, please help me" #ForeignerPower ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Whatever I just ate, exploded with little eggs all over my mouth #WhatDidIJustEat ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Is it wrong that I want to ask the local tattoo artist if he can run the face painting booth at our Halloween party, I think he would be pretty good ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Being a foot taller than everyone else in the whole country #GaijinNoMondai (Foregner problem) ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Hitting your head on every door way cuz it’s made for people a foot shorter than you #GaijinNoMondai ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Having a hole in the ground for a toilet? #FirstWorldCountry more like #FirstWorldProblem ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Typhoon season #ComeAtMeMotherNature #Murica ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Cow Piss? Oh you mean Calpis #YesIllTakeAllOfThem

Monday, April 14, 2014

DD 6.65 ... it's all about losing yourself and focusing on others ...

Togane District
Left:  Griffiths Choro, Stevens Choro, Young Choro, Cannon Choro,
Richards Shimai, Snow Shimai, Tan Shimai, Nakamura Shimai  :Right

Photo courtesy of Snow Shimai's Blog
Are you being transferred?
Nope … I'm not transferring. I'm getting a new companion though,  he's Nihongo, and a transfer three. So we will be a threesome.

Did anyone else in your district get transferred?
Cannon Choro, and Richards Shimai. Snow Shimai is now training a new missionary, who is Nihongo.

Are you doing anything for Easter?
I don't know … maybe we will have a primary program.

Are all the church buildings in Japan as intense as yours? It's like a temple!
Pretty much, didn't you ever see a picture of my last church? The one in Matsudo, not in our Zone, is the biggest one in South Asia.

Are the pics you've been sending from your camera? If not, do you still take some with your camera?
iPad, can't send any from my camera

How were the meals at the members houses? Any nut problems?
Delicious, no problems ... It was a YSA party, so we got in good with all the college kids.

How is your laundry schedule going? Did you clean another suit this general conference?
I didn't … I forgot ... but it's all good here in the hood.

Have you fallen off your bike again?
Not yet, fingers crossed …

Is there an American part of town in Tokyo? Like Chinatown in San Francisco? Is it in Roppongi Hills?
Roppongi Hills is like the Hollywood of Japan ... they have stuff from all over the world there.

Is this the week you switch to Facebook?
Maybe ... don't really know.

Father ... Where did you get that picture of the six of us? I don't even remember it being taken ... so long ago! Any who, are Kenny and Scott, and Daniel all on missions now? I thought that I heard that Daniel was, but I don't really know for sure. Lemme know if you can find out. Also the picture of the tree was really cool ... I've saved it and plan on using it in some lessons ...
(Note from Dad's last letter:  Just in case you forget that Sakura season is not limited to Japan, here is a picture of the blossoms on the Pear Tree in our front yard … I found it interesting to see the dark clouds on one side of the tree while on the other side the sky is clear and blue, no sign of turbulence … how like our lives, rare is the time that all is lost or all is wonderful … usually in our lives we face both the bounty and burdens as life presses on … I have grown to appreciate the sayings that you mother has plastered on our walls: 1. We do hard things, with his help. 2. Live, Laugh, Love; Live well, Laugh Often, Love Much. 3. Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it’s about learning to dance in the rain. 4. By small and simple things are great things brought to pass.)
Mom, talk about feeling the joy of the gospel, because when we recognize that we have benefited from the gospel, we are more likely to want to share it with others. Something that I just had everyone do in our last District Meeting was to come up with a personal experience for every principle of the gospel. I know that as I have been doing it for the last month I have seen how much the gospel has helped me in my life and what it has brought to me ... it's pretty interesting. I would talk about desire if it were me … but, it's up to you.

Jandee!!!! And Jaden!!!! It's so good to hear that everything is going well!! Sorry to hear about Jaden’s knee, that doesn't sound like to much fun, but it's good to know that it is doing better! The pictures of the kids were adorable! They are so cute! I love that the boys are so active! I'm jealous, we only get like thirty minutes in the morning to run around and be energetic ... and it's way too short!!! I love them so much! I'm so psyched too see them again!!

Sam, real rock climbing, cheap prescriptions, spiritual thought, all in the same letter ... very interesting ... I'm glad that you are sad about Artec being over, remember when you first started and were not super thrilled about it? That was a bummer, and now here you are, sad to leave. Thanks for the spiritually uplifting message, I really needed it this week. It's hard to admit that I'm not perfect at everything, and it is probably a good thing that I'm not. As much as I wish that I was, I feel as though I’m able to learn so much more because I'm not ... I agree with you.

Stor ... yes, how you signed your letter … wookie noises are pretty sweet! Sorry that you seem to be a little ornery ... just don't be an ornery-a-saurus ... as mom said that one time … remember … a grump-a-saurus-rex is really, really lame. Ice bullets are pretty sick ... remind me to get into the physics club when I get back, it sounds legit ... and hopefully they ate the giant gummy worm egg thingy ... Delicious! I approve of this grilled cheese madness ... Cheese is way expensive here, so we never really buy it, but it sounds way good!!

So this week was very interesting. We had conference just barely … my favorite part of what I missed Saturday night (the Priesthood Session), Eyring Kaichou talked about prayer ... pretty much, my prayers are not good prayers, and I need to repent. Good talk right? They should be full of gratitude towards God, the more unselfish that our prayers become, the more of a "priesthood man" we are able to become. I find it interesting that in the gospel of Jesus Christ, it's all about losing yourself and focusing on others. The times when we really progress in this life is when we are not acting out of a desire to improve our own lives, but out of a desire to improve the lives of those around us. Often that is what brings us the most joy. I know that there have been times when I stop focusing on myself, and lose myself in this great and glorious work, and that is when I grow the most. It's not when I'm trying to grow and progress, because usually when I'm doing that, I'm focusing too much on me, not on the people around me.

My favorite talk was If Ye Lack Wisdom, by Aidukaitis Choro ... it reminded me of all the garbage that I used to spend my time on. Yeah, a lot of it was important stuff that had to get done, but a lot of stuff was ... well, garbage ... I've come to realize while I've been here that the important things in life are those of the gospel. Yeah, everyone who reads this email and knows me when I get back is just going to laugh and say I'm a hypocrite, but I think, that the perfect desire would be to do what we have to do in life to get along, and then spend the rest of our  time doing things that matter in life ... like learning or building relationships ... the things that we will be able to take with us when we die ... but once again, when I get back, I'm sure that my desires will lessen, and I'll get sucked right back into playing minesweeper between classes while I eat pop tarts for lunch ... a dismally doomed future if you ask me. But still, as much as we all wish to avoid the time wasting garbage that consumes all of our lives, I'm sure that we all would love to be perfectly productive all the time, but sometimes it's just nice to sit there and make the land safe by clearing all of the mines ... public service if you will.

Other than conference this week was pretty good, we found some Chinese people to teach, set a baptismal date with one of them, May eleventh, and struggled to get people to come to church. A couple of weeks ago, we had fourteen people come to church, since then we have had like four ... really rough, but we are making plans and setting goals to get more this week, if all goes well, we’ll have 16 this week, plus anyone else we find during the week!! Should be way exciting!!


I loved conference, all the talks were way good. We went back to Inage to watch it. And I'm not sure if it was seeing my old companion again, or my old area, or just watching conference, but it brought on a wave of nostalgia ... it was pretty rough. I know that I've moved on and that I am where I am because I need to be here, but still, it was hard to leave after being there for but a few hours.

We were talking the other day about our last transfers (the transfer from Tokyo to Riverton). I suspect my feelings are going to change ... today, I think it will be exciting ... but I suspect (sorry family) that leaving Japan will be so much worse than leaving America. It's hard to admit now ... actually, no it's quite easy ... I love it all, the heartbreak of dropped investigators, the thrill of progress, the terrifying nerves that come every week when I have to prepare training for those I have been given a responsibility for. This has been the hardest ten months of my life, but I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

I know that growing up is a part of life, but sometimes it really sucks. As I'm approaching my "year mark" all I can think about is "it's hasn't been a year has it?” It seems like yesterday I was playing minesweeper at the hub, going rock climbing, and frankly, being terrified about serving for two years and leaving the home where I had grown up ... But I wouldn't trade these ten short months for anything.

I love you all and understand if you don't have time to write, we all have lives and I recognize that! Looking forward to hearing from you, in a week, a month, or in 14, seemingly long but incredibly short, months.

Until next time Elder Griffiths
6779 6385

No comments:

Post a Comment